Our Paint Plot customers will often ask us, “what makes a paint by number kit easier or more difficult to manage”.
We thought we would give you some tips on how to select an easy paint by numbers kit for adults, or a more difficult one, if it’s not your first. One of the amazing things about paint by numbers is that there are suitable kits for every skill level, from a beginning to an advanced painter.
As a beginner, we would generally recommend that you choose an easier design for your first paint by numbers kit for adults.
For an easy paint by number’s kit, we suggest you look at our abstract range. There is a great selection available and these are generally the easiest to paint because the sections are much larger.
In each of our painting kits, we supply acrylic paints as they dry quickly to avoid smudging.
On the other hand, if you’re up for a challenge and looking for something more advanced, look for one of the more detailed designs within our range. For example, our Cinque Terre kit has a lot of detail and therefore, many small sections in it. It’s guaranteed to give you many hours of enjoyment for an intermediate or advanced painter!
We have a few tips to make your first easy paint by numbers for adults an enjoyable and fun experience.
- Take a photo. Before you get started, take a photo of your blank canvas. Not only will this give you the satisfaction of being able to watch your progress but if you make a mistake and go over a number (which we’ve all done, don’t worry) then you can refer back to your original photo and zoom in.
- Be comfortable. Make sure you choose a comfortable place to paint, with a big surface like a table or an easel. Ensure that the spot you choose has plenty of light for your comfort while you paint.
- Look for a peaceful spot. Try to find a quiet peaceful place to paint. Some people in the Paint Plot community prefer complete quiet, others tell us that they love to listen to music while they paint.
- Avoid smudging. When you are working on a number, make sure you work from the top in a downwards motion so as to avoid smudging. Take a break in between colours to ensure you don’t smudge them and they have a little time to dry.
- Start with larger areas. Start with the background as it is usually the biggest area and will give you an outline of the painting, then proceed onto the smaller areas. This will help to make sure they are more defined.
- Take care of your brushes. Always stick to one color at a time and clean the brushes thoroughly in between each color.
- Take care of your paint pots. Close the paint pots when not in use, if you don’t these could dry out. If that happens, a little water will help restore them.
- Use a layer of paint that is a medium thickness. Do not overdue the paint on each section, if it is too thick it will not absorb as quickly and you run the risk of smudging or running out and having to wait for more.
- Take a break. As tempting as it may be to finish your easy paint by numbers for adults kit in one day, make sure you take a break, the quality of your work will be a lot better if it is not rushed…. Remember this is a fun activity, not a race.
The most important thing for us here at Paint Plot is that whichever easy paint by numbers for adults kit you choose, you enjoy it! So, sit back, relax and enjoy your very first painting.